Music adds so much to our lives. For me, it consumes the bulk of my day – every day. So, when Steven Browne called out fellow HR Bloggers and the #HRTribe to share our version of #HRMixTape2019, I couldn’t resit. High Five’s all around to Mark Hendy for creating this challenge! I have thoroughly enjoyed walking down memory lane by reading many of the other versions.
Being a child of the ’80s, I still have a box full of my own mixed tapes…and a walkman. I actually pulled out a few of them before sitting down to write this. Even back then mixed tapes were often made with a theme in mind. I have tapes that were my go to when I was sad, when I was in love, and many that were all about the hair metal…..yes, I was THAT girl. But enough about back then. Today, as your official #JoyFacilitator, here’s my version of joy as it relates to #HR.
1. You’re The Inspiration – Chicago – We all need a little inspiration no matter what our jobs are. In the world of HR, I tend to find my inspiration in many different places; often when I least expect it. Over the past year, most of my inspiration definitely came from the connections I made once I discovered the #HRTribe on Twitter. Building those relationships and meeting some of these people in real life has helped me get through a few stressful situations. But most of all, they continue to encourage me to take the next steps towards accomplishing my professional goals. Everyone needs a tribe!
2. Don’t Worry, Be Happy – Bobby McFerin – I am the JOY FACILITATOR, and I look for ways to be happy! Our jobs in HR can be stressful , and sometimes it seems like there’s no light at the end of the tunnel. When this happens, we can choose to let things frustrate us, or we can take it all in stride. At the end of it all, we can also choose to look for the things that make us happy. If you really look for them, they are there.
4. Roll The Bones – Rush – Why? I’m sure my good friend, Jon Thurmond would agree with me when I say – Simply because every Mixed Tape deserves a good Rush song. Plus, you should never pass up the opportunity to hear Geddy Lee rap. But keeping it in the context of HR; it’s all about the people. Dealing with people is almost always like a roll of the dice. “It’s action, reaction; Random interaction; So who’s afraid of a little abstraction? Can’t get no satisfaction”
6. I Won’t Back Down – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers – With all that is happening in the world of work today, HR has a prime opportunity to lead the charge for change. This will not be an easy road to travel, but it is an important one. Will you stand firm, or will you back down?
7. Rise Up – Andra Day – the lyrics in this song inspire me; and Oh. My. Goodness. – I love her voice! Those who are close to me know I tend to be very passionate about the things that mean the most to me. My faith and family foremost; but after that, I am also very passionate about the work I do in HR. I truly believe in people. What we do everyday is a choice, we can roll with the punches and eventually just give in… or, we can rise up and make a difference.
8. We Could Be Heroes – Alesso – Again, we CAN make a difference. Who knows what we can accomplish, who we will likely touch on any given day? “Everyday people do everyday things, but I can’t be one of them… we are a different kind. We can do anything.” In HR – we are a different kind; and I, for one, am proud of this fact.
Well, there you have it; my #HRMixedTape2019. I hope you enjoy it. Don’t forget to leave a comment and let me know what you think.